back to work!

May 26, 2011
Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont

While being a mother is the best job in the world, work must go on! I don’t work to live- I enjoy my career and it so happens to pay for my habits and lifestyle!

Today- 14 weeks and 2 days old, Brady headed to daycare (well, I drove him) where he will spend the majority of daylight.

The great thing about having a Cesarean Section is the 2 extra weeks of maternity leave. I spent 8 weeks home, work-free, with Brady—the first 3 weeks and 2 days we were lucky to have Travis home with us.  After the 8 weeks, which flew by, were up, I was able to work from home for an additional 6 weeks—what a gift!

Let me briefly summarize what working from home with an infant is like—near impossible! My to-do list grew and grew and GREW! It was a bit of a relief to be back in the office today knowing that I wouldn’t have any distractions. Of course I missed Brady’s smiles, giggles, cries and hunger cues, but getting things done was also great. I’m going to have to get adjusted to a new sleep schedule. I have no problem getting up at 0500 to nurse him, it’s just staying up once he’s done feeding that I’m not used to. I was exhausted by noon—I accidentally fell asleep while pumping at work. Whoops. At least no one will walk in on me!

The day flew by and all of a sudden it was time to pick up my little man. He was all smiles as he usually is when I pick him up—he’s been to his daycare 3 times prior to warm him up to it.

Like I said, I love what I do, but now I’ve realized once I get home from work, we have some play time, some nursing time and then all of a sudden…BED TIME! L I’m used to playing all day long and now we only have a few hours. Sure, I don’t go to bed until much later, but Brady is usually out between 7-9 depending on the events of the day. Tonight….he was out by 6:45, at first I thought it was a little nap in my lap but he was OUT. I put him in his crib and he’s been sound asleep ever since—maybe it’s just a really long nap, but if it is, I’ll be ready to go to bed by the time he wakes up.

I realize this post is all over the place and doesn’t make much sense…just a showcase of how exhausted I am. I’ll end it here before I ramble on about who knows what. Basically what I was trying to say is that I had an awesome 14 weeks and 2 days home with Brady (4 of which I was in New York City), I’m happy to be back at work, I miss him like crazy when I’m gone, but I know he’s in awesome hands at daycare!

Goodnight Moon.


Post a Comment